Thursday 26 February 2009

Guns, Hobbit holes and motorcycles. It could only be one thing: It's Day dream of the week III!

It all started with Jonathan Meades (doesn't it always) looking at Northerness and how it affects, amongst other things, Architecture. In Finland he described how a chap called Sonck created a uniquely Finnish architectural style. Here's Meades doing a better job than I ever could to describe this style...

I was somewhat inspired by this and started dreaming about my own dark, snug little burrow. I have often wanted to build my own house and earth sheltered housing has often been considered as I've planned and then replanned my fantasy home. My latest plan is to build a hobbit hole into the bank of a south facing hillside whilst having the entrance on the opposite northern side. 

This picture gives an idea of what I'd like to build.

My mind then wandered to the interesting and distant fantasy of motorcycle ownership which had been a target of mine whilst I was unemployed and skint. Somehow I never got round to doing the test and I have now decided this must be done by the end of 2010. Good god I sound like a politician setting these targets but unlike the government I intend to stick to this one and here is the reasons why...

These beautiful machines are Chinese and are exact copies of Soviet Russia's M72 motorcycle outfit which in turn was a simplified copy of a BMW R71 outfit that Germany's Wehrmacht had decided didn't fit the bill for their own forces. These Chinese machines are built under the name Chang Jiang and have a small but enthusiastic following though the workmanship is a little questionable by all accounts but the reviews have been good. I've also been looking at guns recently too after going clay pigeon shooting in the Welsh borders but alas the law prohibits me from owning this beauty. *Sigh*

Webley-Fosbery Self-Cocking Automatic Revolver

However this thing I can own it's a copy of a New England Fowling Gun.

I promise I will write a lot more next time...

1 comment:

Marianne said...

Sam, you're not a hobbit, nor will you ever pass for one.